Wednesday, January 16, 2008

STILL MUSING ON CONTENTMENT

Illumine our souls with joyful delight when sadness tries to take over the day. Shine brightly on us today, God, until we reflect your glory as a witness to this world.

- Kwasi I. Kena
The Africana Worship Book: Year A

This showed up in my inbox as part of my morning devotional. Immediately upon reading it, my word for the year "contentment" came to mind. As I reread and thought about it it occurred to me that though I don't usually think of contentment as containing or contributing to "joyful delight" maybe it does. I've always looked on having contentment with being peaceful and calm. A state of relaxation and acceptance of life and all it brings. Joyful delight is more active, more exciting, and well more full of movement than calm. Yet...reading the whole passage that I highlighted isn't this what true contentment is? The ability to even when sadness tries to take over being able to overcome and be joyful. Unless I am content with who I am, and what I have I could never achieve joy in the face of sadness.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Very good point.......the more subtle and quiet qualities need to be a good foundation for the more active ones!