Saturday, January 12, 2008

BACK TO CONTENTMANT

con·tent·ment (kn-tntmnt)
n.
1. The state of being contented; satisfaction.
2. A source of satisfaction: the contentments of a comfortable retirement.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Oh how I hate it when dictionaries use a form of the word to define a word. How does it help you understand what contentment is when it says the state of being contented???? They just want you to look up more words so let's go look up contented.

con·tent·ed (kn-tntd)
adj.

Satisfied with things as they are; content

Ah now we have "content" used so off to content....

con·tent (kntnt)
n.
1. Something contained, as in a receptacle. Often used in the plural: the contents of my desk drawer; the contents of an aerosol can.
2. The subject matter of a written work, such as a book or magazine. Often used in the plural.

OOPS! Wrong one...try again...
Adj.1.content - satisfied or showing satisfaction with things as they are

Ah the same definition as contented...so after all that my definition for contentment will be the state of being satisfied with things as they are.

This raises an interesting question. Does this mean that being contented or having contentment with ones life means you never move forward in life you just stay in the same spot being too satisfied with status quo to think of any possibility of betterment or change? If that is the case then I'm not sure I want to strive for contentment.....it sounds like it could lead to a stuck in the mud kind of life. Gonna have to do more thinking on this.......

1 comment:

Lee said...

Very interesting entry Suzanne!! I tend to think of the scripture that talks about being content with all things, whether we have much or have little. I know I should go look that up, but I will later and get the exact words. But the intent that I've also tried to instill in the kiddos is that it's okay to enjoy our life and our luxuries as long as we also can find contentment when we have to go without for a time. Does that make sense? See? Your blog really is inspiring some wonderful reflection my friend!!!