Saturday, January 09, 2010

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE

Stumbled across the movie "Carousel " on PBS tonight. Staying up to late to finish watching it, but I can't resist. I have always loved this play and the music in it. My favorite song from it is "You'll Never Walk Alone". I remember playing this a lot when I was in high school.

I was not one of the popular kids. I did have friends, but we were a group of outsiders who were just trying to get through high school in one piece emotionally. We weren't the rich kids. We weren't the pretty or handsome kids. We weren't the athletes. We weren't even the nerds. In short we weren't much of anything but friends with each other. There were eight of us in a high school of over 2000. I often felt alone. I guess its safe to say though there were good times in high school it was not one of my happiest times in life.

I will never forget one night when things were particularly difficult, listening to this song over and over. My dad must have heard it through my closed door. He stuck his head in my room and asked if he could come in. He sat down next to me gathered me in his arms and told me that I never had to worry that he would always be there for me and I could get through anything as long as I held my head up and remembered that and also remembered the words of the song.

I couldn't help but feel my throat tighten and my eyes tear up when the song was song in the movie tonight. Some things like the feeling of loneliness never change even after 42 years. My dad has been gone almost 10 years, but I would like to think that he is still by my side helping me to get through life's storms. I love you and miss you dad.

Rodgers & Hammerstein - You'll Never Walk Alone

When you walk through a storm
Keep your chin up high
And don't be afraid of the dark.
At he end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark.

Walk on through the wind,
Walk on through the rain,
Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown.Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone,
You'll never walk alone.

No comments: