Wednesday, April 23, 2008

EARLY MORNING MUSING!

I woke up way too early this morning, but decided to just go with the flow and get an early start on the day. My husband got an even earlier start and was already gone , but all was not totally quiet. There was the song of very early birds in the air as they greeted the new day with more enthusiasm and joy than I was feeling.

One of the ways I usually start out my day is reading my e-mail that has come in since I went to bed the night before. This always includes a morning devotional e-mail from the Upper Room. Some mornings what they say strike me more than others. Todays was one of those. I would like to share it with any who wander by here as well as journal it here for myself so I can return and find it when I need a reminder. Some thoughts are just too important to loose.

"WHEN WE ADMIT our weaknesses …, we discover one of the greatest secrets of the spiritual journey — that in our weakness lies our strength. This is one of the most powerful spiritual truths that we will ever discover. Rather than rejecting us because of our weaknesses, it opens the door for God to come alongside us and help us overcome what had previously defeated us. God’s strength can lead us beyond our weakness and enable us to grow spiritually strong."

- Trevor Hudson
One Day at a Time: Discovering the Freedom of 12-Step Spirituality

From p. 10 of One Day at a Time by Trevor Hudson. Copyright © 2007 by the author. Published by Upper Room Books. http://www.upperroom.org/bookstore/. Learn more about or purchase this book.

I think one of the hardest things for 21st century people to do is to admit they have any weakness. Everything in our culture tells us we must be strong. We must be able to handle whatever life may throw at us if we are to be worthy. "Chin up", "Buck up", "Just deal with it", "You can do it!".....these are things we hear and say many times over.

Sometimes it may seem like it is hard to find God working in our lives. Is this because we are too busy struggling to make sure we can handle things on our own. Working so hard to gain the approval of the world by showing how strong we are that we leave no room for God? Maybe the most courageous thing we can do is to admit we have no courage. Maybe rather than "You can do it!" we should be saying "Let go and Let God!"

Have wonderful day!

1 comment:

Lee said...

Interesting and very deep....that's exactly the way I was raised....and it's definitely hard to do the letting go part for sure!!