Thursday, April 23, 2009

MORE THOUGHTS

So I 've been thinking....that I will be taking a poison as medicine what will I do? Hopefully I will begin to feel better. There are no guarantees in life and that includes experiencing the bad and serious side effects from the methotrextate. So I am going to do my best to anticipate the best and ignore the worst. It this is the "gold standard" for RA treatment today then it's benefits MUST outweigh it's side effects. I will deal with the meds as issues present.

This is a disease for which there is no cure. At best I can hope for another remission. So I learn to live with it. To embrace it as part of my new "normal". With proper care I will avoid serious side issues such as heart disease and osteoporosis. Those are the things especial heart disease that could eventually kill me. So what do I do.........? Well one thing is I MUST figure out how and get the will to exercise. Cardio for the heart and strength for the bones. I also need to listen better to my body and give it the rest it needs when it needs it. I'm already working on eating better. And once I start the methotrextrate I need to be real careful about infections. I guess what it does is really kills off my immune system.

On a bright note if nausea is a side effect I experience maybe that will help me with my losing weight. I still have about 10 pounds I would like to get rid of. Then maybe my treat to myself can be a new wardrobe; updated to the 21st century.......

This may sound like not a big deal to some but one of the things that will be a challenge to me will be changing my drinking habits......no more alcohol while on these drugs....too much liver risk. Also Dr wants me to get down to one caffeinated beverage a day!!!! Yikes! I can give up my regular coffee, but my tea will be difficult. Also though I am not a big soda drinker when I do I most enjoy pepsi or coke.....what will I drink????? Water is so tasteless and boring......sigh....yes there are changes coming.

No comments: