Tuesday, May 13, 2008

MORE PINK!

The cherry blossoms are long gone, but we have more pink in our yard. The recent rain intermixed with moments of sun have brought our rhododendron bush into bloom. We forgot to prune it last summer so it is very big this year and full of beautiful blooms.

This bush is right outside our front door. The blooms are actually a cluster of many smaller flowers and each bloom measures about 6 to 8 inches across. This is what one looks like close up. Fortunately for allergy sufferers there is no scent at all with these flowers. I'm sure my husband appreciates that.

I also took a picture of the whole bush so it could be seen in all it's beauty. It's relly quite large and this summer we will need to be sure and prune it back or it will take over the whole front of our house.

I think I mentioned in one of my posts about the cherry blossoms that though they are pretty when they are fresh they get really nasty when they are old. If you look carefully at the lower left of the picture of the rhododendron bush you will see what looks like brown dirt on the side walk.....That is what is left of the cherry blossoms that didn't get swept up before the rain came. They are a pile of brown mush now......YUKKY!

Also though the rhododendron doesn't have any scent at the lower right you can see my lavender bush that also is overtaking the garden bed and when it looms it has a lovely scent.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Oh WOW Suzanne!!! What amazing and GLORIOUSLY pink blooms!!! They certainly would make me smile every time I looked at them!! I wonder if they would grow up here??